About Rotary and our local Activities
What is Rotary?
• Rotary is a service organisation of business and professional leaders united worldwide who help those in need, encourage high ethical standards in all vocations and work towards world understanding and peace
• Rotary is more than 1.2 million service minded men and women belonging to 27,000 Rotary Clubs in 150 countries and 35 geographical regions. Membership is by invitation
• Rotarians meet weekly to enjoy each others’ fellowship and discuss ways to service others
• Rotary is compassion for the underprivileged, the ill and the disabled, who benefit from over 50,000 Rotary Club service projects in the world each year
• Rotary runs the biggest non government scholarship scheme in the world
• The Rotary Foundation gives more that £21 million every year to educational and humanitarian programmes which promote international understanding
How we “serve”today
• The Club takes an active role in Projects and organises events both “hand on” and fund raining for the benefit of local , national and international causes
Vocational and Community activates
• The Club presents annually a Community Service Award to a
• Person who is considered to have made a selfless
• Significant contribution to the Hamilton community
• over the years.
• Annual Youth Speaks competition for local secondary schools
• Support for Career programmes with schools
• Stroke Awareness Programme support by arranging and offering free blood pressure checks
• Udston Hospital Garden Maintenance
• Aid Projects – organising shoe box , aqua box and emergency schemes in conjunction with schools and other local organisations to send aid abroad
• Spectacles collections for third world countries
• Fund raising for Polio Eradication Programme for Water Aid in Africa and fast response funds to organisations such as the Red Cross for humanitarian disaster relief
• Sightsavers International – support given by Rotary has saved the sight of 5 million people worldwide
• Hosting young people on exchange visits and international rallies.
• Business Challenge sponsorship for young entrepreneurs.
• Euroscholar – we sponsor students to visit and learn about the European Parliament
• We organise fellowship events such as sponsored weekend walks e.g. The West Highland Way , Fife Coastal Path
• We have fellowship weekends visiting both cities in the UK and Europe